Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"Halloween Treat Bag"

I know I know, Halloween has come and past, but I thought I would post a little activity I did with some speech kiddos on Halloween. I purchased a cheap plastic Halloween treat bag (cost a buck) and filled it with various items that contained target speech sounds (/k/, /g/, /s/, /s/-blends, /r/). All of the items were objects I found around the speech room, home or items I found for a buck at Target. Some of them included: miniature box of cereal, candy corn, spider, marker, mask, acorns, leaf, etc.I utilized a sentence strip (i.e., I found ____ in the treat bag) to help students expand their language and allow for opportunities to describe objects by feature/function/category (e.g., What do you do with cereal? or What does a spider look like?), use target sounds and turn-taking skills. The activity was a hit and of course the kids loved it. They were engaged and eager to have their turn to find out what they'd find in the treat bag. Targets: Identify objects to increase use/knowledge of vocabulary, produce target speech sounds in words/sentences/conversation, Answer questions to identify objects by function/feature/category, turn-taking skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment